Welcome to the "Beginners" mailing list

Todd Blanchard tblanchard at mac.com
Mon May 1 22:45:11 UTC 2006

On May 1, 2006, at 12:42 PM, Herbert König wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I like the tone of the welcome message but I feel the English is not
> completely correct. Some native speaker please look into this.

Oh look - something I'm accidentally qualified to contribute. :-)

> line 2:
> brlso> Squeak is a really cool and powerful environment but
> Smalltalk is an
>                                                         ^^^
> I think this should read ...  and (not but) Smalltalk is an elegant
> and powerful

That is correct.  "and" is a better choice.

> Not sure about the next two ones.
>
> brlso> elegant and powerful language, however it is different than
>                                                               ^^^^
> however it is different from (not than) traditional languages...?

also correct. (should be from - many natives get this wrong BTW).

> brlso> traditional languages, so do not hesitate to ask questions.
> We will do
> brlso> our best to answer them and to learn with you.
>                                    ^^
> omit the to?

No - "We will do our best to answer them and to learn with you" is
technically correct.

In the US, informally it might be rendered as "We will do our best to
answer them and learn with you"

Either, I believe, is acceptable.