headless squeak for nslu2?

Brian Zhou b88zhou at gmail.com
Tue May 2 06:24:05 UTC 2006

 <goran <at> krampe.se> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Brian Zhou <b88zhou <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all squeakers,
> >
> > I've ported quite a few languages to the nslu2 optware (see
> > http://nslu2-linux.org for detail). The only major language not running on the
> > "slug" is Smalltalk.
> >
> > Any idea where to start to get a headless squeak running on the slug?
>
> Start with squeakvm.org - suck down source, compile a VM. The VM can be
> built without X, or you can run it using "-headless" or similar options.
> If you have a decent Linux I am guessing you are home free, perhaps
> someone already have done it.
>
> And btw, if you have VNC that works dandy too - so you can actually run
> an image with the UI, but remotely. In fact, Squeak has a VNC included
> even (as an addon from SqueakMap). We (web app devs) use VNC all the
> time.
>
> regards, Göran

Thanks Göran,

I'm glad to tell you all that squeak has been ported (cross compiled) to run on
the nslu2! (266MHz big-endian ARM with 32MB RAM -nodisplay -nosound)

    0 tinyBenchmarks
    '14692378 bytecodes/sec; 551451 sends/sec'

The cross build makefile and patches are checked in at
  http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/nslu/unslung/make/squeak.mk
  http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/nslu/unslung/sources/squeak/

Since "optware" supports a couple of other small devices, it should not be too
hard to get squeak running on them. The binary package for nslu2 is at

http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/unstable/squeak_3.9.7-1_armeb.ipk

NSLU2 wiki page:
  http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/RunSqueakSmalltalk

In fact, I'm running the seaside 2.6 image thru the built-in RFBServer, not
fast, but quite usable.

If only we had a Seaside/Ajax version of the SystemBrowser, Transcript &
Workspace, then we can remove lots of the GUI stuff. What do other squeakers
think about this idea?

-Brian Zhou