headless squeak for nslu2?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue May 2 14:40:39 UTC 2006

On 1-May-06, at 11:24 PM, Brian Zhou wrote:

> I'm glad to tell you all that squeak has been ported (cross
> compiled) to run on
> the nslu2! (266MHz big-endian ARM with 32MB RAM -nodisplay -nosound)
>
>     0 tinyBenchmarks
>     '14692378 bytecodes/sec; 551451 sends/sec'

Yup, that's pretty much exactly what I used to get on my old Acorn
RiscPC SA 202MHz machine, so no surprises there. You might get better
figures in the larger benchmarks because the slug can't possibly have
a memory system as primitive that the RPC (16MHz 32 bit wide bus
meant for 1992 era RAM) even if they tried.

You'll find that performance is ok for everything but morphic but
since I'm reasonably sure the slug doesn't have graphics of its own
that probably won't be a problem.

tim
The hardness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread.