Blue Book Interpreter/ObjectMemory/BitBlt

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun May 7 16:02:48 UTC 2006

On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 04:45:52PM +0200, Wolfgang Helbig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the paper "Forward to the Past" at
> 	ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/docs/OOPSLA.Squeak.html
> mentions that the ST-80 Interpreter and BitBlt classes were typed in from the
> Blue Book.
>
> Is this material still available? Preferable in the *.st format, ready to be
> filed in in Squeak?
>
> And did any one type in the ObjectMemory implementation from the Blue Book?
> Still available?

The book is out of print but occasionally available on the used book
market. There is an on-line version of the chapters you are looking
for here:
  http://users.ipa.net/~dwighth/smalltalk/bluebook/bluebook_imp_toc.html

Stephane Ducasse provides a large collection of on-line books and videos.
Follow the "documentation" links from www.squeak.org.

As for the *.st formatted files for Squeak, it's already there, except
that it has been put into a separate package (VMMaker) that you have to
install from SqueakMap.

If you want a version that is close to whatever was originally typed
in from the Blue Book, get the oldest Squeak image and VM that you
can find on the net. I don't know what's still out there, but any
number of folks on this list probably have old copies laying around
on hard drives if you need them.

Dave