Smalltalk: Requiem or Resurgence? {Dr. Dobb's Journal (05/06/06) Chan, Jeremy}

Michael Latta lattam at mac.com
Thu May 11 22:30:01 UTC 2006

I really do not have an issue with the Squeak UI.  It is different from the
platform UI but seems reasonably well implemented and such.  The size of
scroll bars and borders is a bit small for my taste and eyes these days.
But, since this is Smalltalk I can always change them!

Mostly I was referring to the perception of Smalltalk as a language/system
that had its day and was on the decline.  That is generally the response I
get when mentioning it to those that have not actually used it on a project,
or who have been converted to the mainstream of Java or .Net.

The VisualWorks UI is a bit dated and still has the annoying 10 year old bug
of not always repainting windows properly.  That bug alone makes it look
dated.

Michael