squeakland plugin for unix

Matej Kosik kosik at fiit.stuba.sk
Fri May 12 08:12:11 UTC 2006

Hi Brad

Brad Fuller wrote:
> a few questions on the squeakland browser plugin for unix, if someone in
> the know can answer:
>
> Is the squeakland image special? (different from the regular ol' squeak
> images?)

You can find it yourself if you evaluate the following.

    SystemVersion current

I see:

    Squeakland 3.8-05 of 1 September 2005 update 546

so the image seems to be of 3.8 family. I guess that the source of the updates is also different than "normal" Squeak images (this is related to the `546' update number).

> Is the vm different too?

no, "Normal" Squeak, Squeak plugin as well as Croquet share the same virtual machine (at least I do not have problems running those different images upon the same virtual machine).

> Or is the only difference the npspeak.so file
> and the symbolic link it creates
> (e.g. create symbolic link `/usr/lib/firefox-1.5/plugins/npsqueak.so' to
> `/usr/lib/squeak/3.7-7/npsqueak.so')

`npsqueak.so' is a plugin to firefox, mozilla etc. I am not aware of all the details (how things are mutually called and under what circumstances) but the code of `npsqueak.so' is able to check various things (where is the virtual machine binary, where is the plugin-image and if everything is all right, it `exec'-utes the virtual machine with proper parameters
- it tells it what image to use
- it tells it what X-window ID to use as a main window of Squeak world
and such things. `npsqueak.so' itself is not a virtual machine. It is but a glue.

> I'm afraid the squeakland vm will overwrite my current vm. True?
> Can I run them independently (that is without changing directories and
> creating links so they don't interfere in the "default" installation
> process)

Since in both cases the same vm is used, there is no conflict or problem with overwriting.
--
Matej Kosik