FFI usage

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat May 13 05:27:08 UTC 2006

On 12-May-06, at 6:51 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Alejandro F. Reimondo wrote:
>> Thankyou Andreas for the explanation and code.
>> I asked for a non-assembly option to compile for PocketPC
>>  without learning assembly (to rewrite 20lines of code :-)
>
> You still need to understand the ABI and personally, I typically
> find this harder than learning the basics of the assembler language
> involved. For an unknown ABI I'd actually recommend learning the
> assembler language as a starter, to understand the processor
> architecture. It explains a lot when you read through the ABI and
> try to understand some oddball reference to a register you've never
> heard about and what its purpose might be.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

Yes, and when reading the ABI ensure you follow *all* the clues,
casual mention of "quad word alignment" lurking
casually somewhere really does mean that, perhaps the code *will*
appear to  run,  right to the point you make
the first OpenGL call...

Oh, and careful about assuming you have a correct ABI, look for the
revised edition (if any).

===