Projects that I'm either too lazy or too ignorant to do.

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Sat May 13 18:48:27 UTC 2006

Hi Alan,

on Sat, 13 May 2006 19:10:11 +0200, you <agrimes at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> Here are a list of ideas I have about Squeak, as I have not followed the
> most recent developments closely, some of them may be redundant.
> -- VM improvements.
>
> 1. Design a profiling mechanism that can count the number of times any
> specific bytecode is sent and a mechanism to access this information
> from the image. I would imagine this would involve a "profile variables"
> special object, and the ability to add "profileCounterA preincrement" to
>  the mesage to be examined. This would help target further work on the
> VM.

This is on my list for quite some time now and, despite having not very
much time, I can develop that, we here need bytecode profiling more than
any other improvement or enhancement to the VM.

But, what makes us reluctant is that InterpreterSimulator seems to have
collected a bit of rott. We do*not*want and have*not*much*time for the
"[development cycle via gcc] loop".

And a colleague of mine would like to do his first Squeak project and
visualize the results of profiling the bytecodes (perhaps also for the
primitives+memory routines, we have drafted a design for an easy to
implement general VM profiling implementation).

But without help from InterpreterSimulator, such a project won't fly (at
least not for us here).

/Klaus