[BUG] Integer hex ( I send mail about this before)

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Sun May 14 20:05:24 UTC 2006

"Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene" <edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:

>stéphane ducasse puso en su mail :

>> Sorry edgar
>>
>> I do not understand your point. Can you resay it?
>> Was the BUG fixed?
>>
>> Stef
>No.

>That is why I send again the news.
>In the momment was a mini thread about this, and I believed
> what was choosed repost old method.
I wondered for some time what went wrong here, but now I think
i got it. I assume that you loaded some packages into a 7032
image, right? These packages seemingly require the method
Integer > hex.

It would be interesting to know what packages you loaded and
what methods fail.

>Today I join again to mainstream and at my surprise found this unfixed.
>Worst, exist a Boris Gaertner fix what don't fix this (maybe fix others
>things related).
When it was proposed to remove Integer>>hex in facour of
two other methods (printStringHex and printStringRadix:) I tried to
fix all occurrences of hex in the basic image. The various packages
remained of course unchanged.

If I remember correctly, there as also some discussion about
wether or not the replacement for  hex  should answer a string
with the radix prefix  16r. It is quite possible that we still have
problematic replacements.

>And the bug is labelled Closed (what is not the case as bug still exist)
>So, until all packaged go to 3.9 7032 level, IMHO the minor trouble was
>repost old method.
>I do in my own image and works.
I think to load packages that require the hex method in Integer,
you will have to add this method definition:

hex
  ^self printStringRadix: 16

The experience of all this is   - in my opinion - that
method deprecation makes a lot of older packages unusable.
Was that kept in mind when we began to deprecate various
methods?

Greetings, Boris