Detecting keyUp for modifier keys

Duncan Mak duncanmak at gmail.com
Tue May 16 11:31:35 UTC 2006

Hello,

On 3.9, there's this cute new Morph called WindowSwitcher which implements a
Windows-like alt-tab popup for selecting open windows. To activate it, press
alt-w.

However, there's a bug.

The pop up will only go away during a keyUp event when neither the control
key nor the command key is pressed (see WindowSwitcher>>keyUp:), however, I
never see a keyUp event when the command key is released on my machines
running Linux. So, for now, you have to do:

alt-w             "activate the pop-up"
w.. w.. w        "pick the window before the one you want"
release alt    "no effect"
w                 "move to the desired window, and close the popup"

Is there a reason why keyUp: is not sent when I release the command key (or
control, or shift for that matter)? Is this a VM bug?  If it is, does this
mean it is also happening on other platforms?

One other thing I noticed. InputSensor only implements Pressed methods for
the modifier keys, but not Released, is that the cause of the problem?

Duncan.