A Lisper asks, "Am I supposed to like Smalltalk?"

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Wed May 17 20:21:32 UTC 2006

On May 17, 2006, at 3:55 PM, Alan Lovejoy wrote:

> I think our attitude is wrong, even if we're "right."  We
> absolutely should
> enable more "traditional" approaches for doing Smalltalk
> programming.  If
> the Mountain won't come to Mohammed, then Mohammed must go to the
> Mountain.

I like the attitude, but I think it's really tough in practice. I see
two problems:

1) The tools for doing "traditional" programming would have to be
implemented by fairly adept Smalltalkers. This means that they're
working on tools based in a paradigm they don't themselves share.
They'd be creating tools they have no interest in using. Who's going
to want to put effort into that, and who could do it well?

2) The reasons Smalltalk is good are basically the same as the
reasons it's different. If we enable newcomers to retain their old
habits and coding style, are we really doing them a service? We just
make it that much less likely they'll learn the Smalltalk way, and
ultimately give them no reason to use Smalltalk at all. Heck, if you
want a more "traditional" version of Smalltalk, just use Ruby. The
syntax is a little awkward, but otherwise, it's all there.

Colin