A Lisper asks, "Am I supposed to like Smalltalk?"

Michael Grant mwgrant2001 at yahoo.com
Thu May 18 12:34:21 UTC 2006

This (smalltalk has no source code)is kind of an interesting aspect involving
(commercial?) institutions. In some work environments there exists the concept
of source code and the manner of QAing source code is to be done in a very
proscriptive manner involving paper. I am not saying that QA can not be done
since smalltalk has been around for quite a while now and commercial vendors of
the language do exist. But doing QA in a manner consistent with the form
expected by such institutions has probably turned more than one ST enthusiast
away from using the language in favor of
fortran|cobol/basic/pascal/modula/c/c++/VB/java-choose according to decade/date
and location (commercial/academic). This fate is probably true of LISP too. It
is ironic, however, spreadsheets get by with little of no QA in this culture.
Yawn :O)

So who cares, why not enjoy ST or LISP or even fortran for the intellectual
leverage it buys you in a given circumstance. It is the 'aha' that we chase and
there is plenty of that still around.

Regards,
Michael Grant