YASoB (was Re: some news)

SmallSqueak smallsqueak at rogers.com
Thu May 18 20:21:59 UTC 2006

"stéphane ducasse" wrote:

> Have you really looked at Smalltalk-72?

    Actually, not yet.

    I am hoping that some good souls will shed some light,
    so that I can decide whether I should look at Smalltalk-80
    or 76 or 72 or even Squeak 3.9 beta ;-)

    Nah, maybe, I shall look at Dolphin.
    (after it's been Traitorised, of course ;-) ;-)

> Do you think that you could build a real system

    Please define "real system".

    Do you mean Smalltalk-72 support only integers ;-)

> with each class been  able to define its own syntax?

    Very interesting.

    I didn't know that, thanks for telling, Stef.

    Why do you think you cannot build a real system with
    St-72 because each class in St-72 can define its own
    syntax.

> It depends what is the goal of the language.

    This is a billion dollars question.

> If this is to build application it seems that ST-80
> is better than 72. At least with my taste.

    So the goal of ST-80 (or should it be St-80) is for
    building application.

    By application you mean real commercial  stuff like
    MS Office or Oracle DBMS?

    Would you please tell what's the goal of St-72?

    For that matter, what's the goal for Squeak?

    Cheers,

    PhiHo