Whither Squeak?

Alan Lovejoy squeak-dev.sourcery at forum-mail.net
Sat May 20 17:54:22 UTC 2006

Peter: "If we regard Squeak as an OS-equivalent, maybe we should look at
giving some inter-process or at least inter-application protection."

Applications are not the core issue, if by "application" one means a
unified, coherent body of code, whose content is governed by a single
distributor (which may be a team or organization,) and where each such
application lives in its own image.  The app dev team can and should be
responsible for ensuring all the necessary versions of the necessary modules
are present and accessible.

The issue is multiple shared libraries (or multiple applications sharing the
same image.)  The former is a necessity.  The latter is only necessary when
Squeak is being used in an OS-like way.

Although some may care deeply about the OS-like usage of Squeak, others may
not.  But integrating shared libraries from multiple, independent sources
into a single image is a problem that affects everyone.  That's the core
issue.  Solve that, and the "multiple application" case will probably be
solved also.

--Alan