Whither Squeak?

Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Sun May 21 14:15:39 UTC 2006

Pavel Krivanek puso en su mail :

> 1b - create simple mirrors browser for more comfortable work
> 1c - create some fixes like WideString problems with condesing of
> changes etc.
> 2a - clean the kernel
> 2b - merge SUnit and relevant test
> 2c - create new important tests
> 3 - test the kernel image
> 4 - load everything back to create basic image. Don't create packages,
> just simply load new classes and methods and initialize it in the right
> order.
>
> (Task with the same number can be done in parallel)
>
> Then we will have nice UI independent kernel image and perfect
> referential material for next packaging effort.
>
> Then we can do the same process with next packages like network support,
> compression etc. Separate, load everything back.  It will be the set of
> small steps but with every one we will get the next clean package with
> the defined relation to the kernel and prerequisites.
>
> Just an idea. I think that it's doable. If we reached the state when we
> have consistent UI-less kernel image, why don't continue? The packaging
> "from top" and standard Squeak development and fixing can still continue
> because with every step we will have full image. So, what about to
> establisth a team for that?
>
> If we will have kernel image, the set of "primitive" packages like
> network, compression, UI independent MC and one big package "the rest of
> Squeak", we can mark it as Squeak 3.10 and then begin with version 4.0 -
> adopt many Spoon ideas, change VM and image format etc.
>
> -- Pavel
I like and thanks your directions.

Could see if take your 3.9 kernel and add .mcz load (if kernel not have)

As I have some elemental for driving images with remote regular Browsers
like Firefox, also could see of load the last Network.x.mcz.

And let  2b and 2c Sunit and test for people what wish do it.

Like more trial and error on 3 and beyond

Thanks !!!

Edgar