[Seaside] Re: CNR Warehouse > Home & Education > Teaching Tools > Squeak

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Sun May 21 20:34:05 UTC 2006

Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
> Hi Brad,
>
> on Sun, 21 May 2006 19:59:29 +0200, Brad Fuller <brad at sonaural.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>>> List,
>>> have a look at
>>> - http://www.google.com/search?q=squeak+smalltalk+linspire
>>> Free to CNR Warehouse Members (CNR Service $19.95/yr. CNR Gold Service
>>> $49.95/yr.)
>>> Who says that people cannot make money by *selling* Squeak?
>>>

>> In addition to promoting it as a educational tool, another way of
>> promoting squeak would be to offer it under the guise of a website
>> creation tool.
>> Internet service developers really want an edge on their competition,
>> seaside provides a new fresh approach.
>>
>> Seaside has had nothing but praise from what I've seen. Why not use this
>> energy for it's own promotion? What would come along for the ride is the
>> acceptance of smalltalk as a viable development and production tool.
>
> Yes, good idea. But such an undertaking needs some 3-10M$ (or EUR) for
> nothing but marketing (read: not one new line of code needs to be
> written, except for producing marketing material=multimedia
> authoring). This is what new economy dictates. Not that I think that
> it is impossible, you know. Does anybody in this list happen to know
> U.S. investors or perhaps business angles?

I don't know the numbers, but I agree sponsorship is critical.  I don't
see how anyone would see that strictly sponsoring seaside outright could
make them any $$$. But, I do see how vendors that looking for a vehicle
to promote their tools, libs, services, applications. etc using seaside
would see value from a conference. If the vendors contributed $$$ to the
conference, and a nominal fee for attendees was required, maybe it could
work. It wouldn't start out big (it wouldn't be JavaOne out of the
gate), but it could grow appropriately over time. Maybe the first few
conferences are small and the location is donated by a university to
save cost. Heck, I started going to the game developers conference back
in the early 80s and there were just a few 20 or 30 that showed up at
the Red Baron hotel in San Jose. Now look at it (if you don't know, it's
big.) Granted, different business... but you get my drift: start small
with grassroots dedicated evangelists and test the waters.

brad