[PROJECT PROPOSAL] - "Squeak Fenestra"

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon May 22 16:07:48 UTC 2006

On 22-May-06, at 6:49 AM, Viktor Svub wrote:

> PROJECT PROPOSAL - "Squeak Fenestra"
>
> This is a proposal of a project i would like to do
My advice - *use* the stuff John & I did and instead of repeating a
lot of rather tedious work enjoy doing something new and productive.
The Areithfa Ffenestri code provides all (we think) that you need to
create, display, manipulate and manage host windows. What is still
needed is a good hookup to Morphic to make it useful in the general
case.

You don't need to alter BitBlt, just the users of it. A lot of bits
of code simply end up blitting to 'Display' and you would want to
make them use 'theCurrentWindowIAmDisplayingIn' instead.

You don't need platform dependent wrappers and strange FFI stuff.
Ffenestri does it all in a portable manner, which is good for
platforms that don't have FFI.

etc.

If you want to do something that you have a chance of finishing,
please don't waste time repeating work already done and known to
function reasonably well. It may not be a case of "standing on the
shoulders of giants" but at least you can try to benefit from a
"piggyback ride from quite reasonable engineers" !

tim
Strange OpCodes: RLBMI: Ruin Logic Board Multiple Indexed