Whither Squeak?

Juan Vuletich jmvsqueak at uolsinectis.com.ar
Tue May 23 11:36:03 UTC 2006

Hi Daniel,

I used MudPie for splitting Morphic. As I said in another message, I failed
at making Etoys and MorphicExtras easy to unload and load back. This is
because for fixing the bad dependencies without needing two versions of many
core methods (i.e. methods not in the package we are removing). Doing this
carefully is way too much for me (and for anybody, I guess). Squeak is too
big!

My experience with MudPie was excellent. It is great for spotting those
dependencies. It works great, and when I needed some help, or new features,
Daniel helped me a lot, and implemented many of my suggestions. Thanks,
Daniel! And I can say: MudPie does work in 3.9.

The problem was not lack of tools like MudPie. I could think of a tool that
could automate the generation of some of the code needed for removing
dependencies. But I don't think that would be a good solution. The only way
to clean code is by understanding it. So, to me the problem is: too much
work, too little time.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich