Etoys: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (was Re: Whither Squeak?)

Serge Stinckwich Serge.Stinckwich at info.unicaen.fr
Wed May 24 13:22:22 UTC 2006

Markus Gaelli a écrit :

> On May 23, 2006, at 9:49 PM, Alan Kay wrote:
>
>> A good exercise (and very useful) would be just to build a new (and
>> much better) Etoys in your new Morphic. There is nothing sacred in the
>> current version of Etoys.
>
> Hi,
>
> having some fun Etoys experience myself (http://www.emergent.de/etoys.html)
> I compiled a list (should I say Set ;-))
>  "Etoys: The good, the bad and the ugly"  - (to be criticized,
> prioritized and extended of course)
>
> Good:
> - Forces one to unify GUI + Model, which often does makes sense (think
> naked objects)
> - Allows visual programming using tiles
> - Comes with a rich set of toys
> - Is prototype based (good for exploring)
> - types variables by examples
> - holders/playfields are very powerful (iteration, inclusion...)
> - Generates Smalltalk Code in the background
> - Nice concept of halos
> - Connectors...
> - Quite transparent parallelism
> - Is translated to many languages
> - Net Morphs are coool
> - Nebraska (if it works) is nice too
> - Recorded sounds can be used as tiles
> - scripts allow parameters (though I seldom needed this)
> - Hardware Support (forgot the name, but this japanese people converting
> external measurements into sounds, which is in turn translated into
> sound...)
> - Is Used!
> - Comes with some simple sensors (overlaps, color sees...)
> - Constraints of Etoys allow some creativity
> - Kedama
>
> Bad:
> - Not easy for end user to extend with smalltalk code (e.g. some
> frustrated lisp programmer could not add midi to Etoys)
> - Limited set of events (will be better with Etoys2 ak Tweak)
> - Traces of turtles are pixels not objects (want to create some vector
> graphic with turtles...)
> - No notion of matrices ak 2D Fields
> - projects only storable as binaries (would be cool if commands would be
> logged en passant while creating a project...)
> - Squeak Plugin not widespread
> - some properties are not available (why can't I treat every player as a
> holder?)
> - Cannot extend with scripts which deliver booleans, always have to make
> a variable for that (maybe ok though)
> - Tiles create code, but code does not create tiles
> - Not yet available for 3d (croquet programming with Etoys would rock)
> - No bracketing of arithmetic expressions
> - preceding rules of Smalltalk and not of high school mathematics
> - Some tiles don't accept input (eg random...)
> - No debugger for etoys (difficult, but maybe fruitful)
> - "Genetive Programming" (first script any object, then say, that e.g.
> this script actually should affect the player at cursor...)
> - Connectors too much hidden
> - Strange organization of method categories (eg. misc...)
> - siblings can't be broken, copies can't be "siblinged"
> [...]

Good list Markus !

I like the point about using constraints to enhance creativity.

--                                                         oooo
Dr. Serge Stinckwich                                     OOOOOOOO
Université de Caen>CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>MAD               OOESUGOO
http://purl.org/net/SergeStinckwich                       oooooo
Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]   \  /
                                                             ##