Fed up with the web

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Sat May 27 03:05:18 UTC 2006

Hi Keith,

If you do not mind your clients having to download a plugin, the Squeak plugin
is definitely very interesting.

But I have to say for some reason, (probably explainable by humankind
simplicity :) ) using anything that users have to "install" is a huge hurdle.
I completely agree with your sentiment about beeing fed up with the web (http
protocol mostly, inability of browser to install applications dynamically,
current business fixation on "it has to be web-based", etc) - at this point
there are very few technologies that bypass this at least in some sense,
Javascript because it's "part of" every browser environment, and Flash Player
because it is "bundled" with most browsers, maybe a few more.

It is all about delivery, and it would be nice to subvert the "current web
paradigm" and make it to mass-deliver the next thing that will eventually
kill it :). So maybe, to start with, all of us should use Squeak Plugin on
our home pages :)

Have fun,
Milan