Tests and software process

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Nov 2 00:02:17 UTC 2006

Hans-Martin Mosner wrote:
> Then there are a number of FloatMathPlugin tests which just test whether
> a sequence of floating point operations on a huge number of pseudorandom
> floats exactly yields a specified result. In one case, the result on my
> machine is not equal to the result specified in the test, but in more
> cases the pseudorandom inputs are simply not applicable to the
> mathematical functions under test. This indicates a problem with the
> test and not with the plugin.

I wrote those tests to make sure we have consistent (bit-identical)
results for various floating point functions across different Croquet
VMs. How these tests ended up in 3.9 I have no idea - they are part of
Croquet, for sure, and in the context of Croquet they make perfect sense
(and they pass if you use a Croquet VM and they fail if you don't -
which is exactly what they should do).

To me, it points out more a problem with the selection of code being put
into the base image rather than any failing of the test itself. The test
is meaningful in the context it was designed for.

Cheers,
   - Andreas