Removing Etoys, Morphic and other friends

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Nov 2 17:54:43 UTC 2006

I have changed the subject back, because the fastest way to get people
angry at each other is to stand by named proposals instead of getting
into the substance.

Separating etoys from Squeak will cement a fork.  Currently,
Squeakland is basically just a different starting point from
squeak.org Squeak, because most of the code is the same.  If EToys is
permenantly removed from Squeak, then the two groups will be divided
much more thoroughly.  If that happens, then future code improvements
will tend to happen to just one fork or the other.  Which fork do you
think will get Tweak?  Think of all your favorite Squeak-using groups,
and think of them all independently deciding which fork they will
follow for the future.

Sharing an image is painful, but there are benefits to both camps if
it can be accomplished.  I believe it is doable, but the heads of both
the Squeak gruop and the Squeakland group thus far appear to be
uninterested.

Let me put it in a positive way.  Ultimately, Squeak's direction will
be decided by the people who actively take part in it.  I still think
we should try to be inclusive, as I argued long ago [1].  Further, I
think it is too soon to throw in the towel on the squeakland gang.
Deleting EToys means we say goodbye to those guys, and we should not
yet do that.

-Lex