Tests and software process

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Nov 2 18:16:45 UTC 2006

"Ralph Johnson" <johnson at cs.uiuc.edu> writes:
> Squeak comes with a large set of SUnit tests.  Unfortunately, some of
> them don't work.  As far as I can tell, there is NO recent version of
> Squak in which all the tests work.

Known-failing tests should be marked in some way or another.  Thus far
people have proposed putting them in separate packages so that you can
simply unload them.

That is not a bad solution.  However, it would be better if you can
load a known-failing test without having the tools bother you.  Then
you can see the tests and mess with them.  To achieve this, however,
you need to have a way to mark this in the image.

The simplest way I can think of is to rename the methods for
known-failing tests.  Right now, a method named testFoo is a unit
test.  We could change that so that pendtestFoo is a pending unit test
that is known not to work.

-Lex