Removing Etoys, Morphic and other friends

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Fri Nov 3 05:12:37 UTC 2006

On Nov 2, 2006, at 1:04 PM, Lex Spoon wrote:
> Further, I see nothing that is so hard about making the tile-based
> programming unloadable and reloadable.  It is just like any other
> partitioning project.  Make a tile-based-programming project on
> Squeaksource, start recategorizing methods and classes, and go from
> there.

That's not a bad idea.  I don't know if we necessarily want to
require that a reloadable Etoys package exists before it is removed
from the release (however that decision goes), but it would certainly
make the decision easier if it did exist.

As Juan mentioned, it sounds like the main problem is a lot of
individual methods which had to be edited to remove Etoys
references.  The quick solution for the reloadable Etoys 3.10alpha
package would be for the package to simply contain the original code
for these methods as method overrides (overwrites), as a first cut.
Of course this is fragile and not too maintainable across releases,
so the package could be refactored/improved over time to reduce the
number of overrides.

- Doug