Games with Squeak

Diego Fernandez diegof79 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 04:24:46 UTC 2006

On 11/5/06, Mikael Kindborg <mikael.kindborg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/13/06, Diego Fernandez <diegof79 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would like to create something similar to the Damien's
> > ImageForDevelopers but... ImageForGameDevelopers ;)
> >
> > Packaged with the tools and tutorials to create simple games in Squeak
> > (OpenGL and SDL bindings...).
> >

> I would like to help with this, I develop games for children with Squeak.

Great!! :)

> We could make a page called "Game Programming" on the swiki. Was about
> to do that right now, but I have no password for the swiki. Anyone
> knows how to get one?

I've created a project in SqueakSource, with public Read&Write
permissions, so we can share our "experiments" there:

MCHttpRepository
	location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/GameDevTools'
	user: ''
	password: ''

There you can get the pre-pre-pre-alpha version of the SDL bindings.
They doesn't do anything useful yet, only Init, SetVideoMode and
LoadBMP.
I'm doing this in my spare time, so the advances are really slow, so
if you want to help we can learn more about FFI, SDL Surfaces et. al.
together :)

> 1. As an "add on" that bypasses the Display, and renders "on top of"
> Morphic/Tweak. This is how I understand that Croquet works. Drawback
> is you cannot use Morphic/Tweak but have to do your own UI system
> (like the one in Croquet).

This option is more simple for us (the developers of the SDL bindings :) ).
So this is my first approach, develop the interfaces to interact with SDL.

> 2. As an integrated part of the VM, making Display and Forms use the
> native display format. Then you could use Morphic/Tweak with the best
> performance.

I don't know is there is a performance gain in using SDL for this.
SDL is only an "adapter" for the OS libraries (DirectX, OpenGL, etc).
So I don't want to use SDL as the graphic engine for the VM.

My intentions are at first much much less ambitious: collect a series
of packages for game development in Squeak, and put them together,
with tutorials and examples.

I started the SDL bindings because I didn't found the ones mentioned in:
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1833

Regards,
Diego,-