Daap implementation in Squeak

Yann Monclair yann at monclair.info
Mon Nov 6 10:31:26 UTC 2006

Hello,

I just started an implementation of the Digital Audio Access Protocol
[1] in Squeak. This protocol is used by Apples iTunes [2] to share
music over a lan. I found very little documentation[3] on this
protocol, since Apple has decided not to disclose the documentation
on its specifics.
I have published the little code I wrote so far on SqueakSource [4].
I am stuck after the login request. As I understand it, iTunes
doesn't send you the session-id, but an encrypted id, leaving you to
decrypt it. Unfortunately, Apple added some byte switching or
something to the classic MD5 encryption (I'm far from an expert in
crypto, so I might not be using the appropriate vocabulary). I found
a c library to connect to daap shares [5], but I didn't really get,
even after looking at the code.

I would appreciate any help to figure this session-id thing out :) I
think having a daap implementation in Squeak, can be really useful
for multimedia purposes, and we could probably find cool applications :p

Here the code I write in a workspace to get a daapsession

  DaapSession connectTo: 'localhost'.

this will return a DaapSession knowing the server, the content codes
(typing info) and a DaapLogin. the encrytped session-id is accessible
via DaapSession>>sid (or DaapLogin>>mlid)

Thanks,

Yann

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Access_Protocol
[2] http://www.apple.com/itunes/overview/