[ANN] KernelImage for final Squeak 3.9 with MinimalMorphic package on SqueakSource

Pavel Krivanek squeak1 at continentalbrno.cz
Mon Nov 13 11:17:32 UTC 2006

On 11/13/06, Edgar J. De Cleene <edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> Pavel Krivanek puso en su mail :
>
> > thank you, KernelImage withou Morphic works fine on Mac?
> I download all and start from KernelImage-MC-Loader-7067.image on Mac VM (
> Squeak 3.8.8beta2 in this case, I have old PowerPC).
>
> And I do MinimalMorphicLoader load, never stop and when first show Morphic
> have a old recurrent bug , what I ignore.

Remember that you can start working about 5 seconds after enter to the
Morphic project. Then the initialization is finished.

AFIK this bugs aren't extremely pernicious. Morphic only wants to
process some last events that don't exist. I expect that it will be
easy to solve it.

> Still I need do
>
> ChangeSorter initializeChangeSetCategories
> for proper work of ChangeSorter

Use  directly ChangesOrganizer initializeChangeSetCategories. We
should add it into the MinimalMorphicLoader code. Try it ;-)

> but something is different on process or on start image
> > It's interesting why final image is so big. Even if you try to load
> > primitive packages once again as MC packages, the resultant image is
> > much bigger
> MinimalMorphic.image from last 7061 -> 6.9 mb (and I do some here)
> MinimalMorphic.7200.image -> 14.3 mb

It's Monticello related bug(?). I tried to load source.st firstly and
the image had normal size.

> You are the final word here, but what if use the 7061 one and update what
> matters for going 7067 ?

I don't understand. The difference between MinimalMorphic for 7061 and
for 7067 is tidy.
1) it doesn't include code of primitive packages
2) it was modified to support MC package.
It's big and important step forward (and it was not easy to do it).
The current problems are oddments and we can solve it much more easily
because SqueakSource offers us much better code sharing and I'm not
the bottleneck now.

> And 7067 as final ?  many unsolved things ... I wish a word of Board about
> quality of this image.
>
> Could continue private if you wish.
>
> Edgar

-- Pavel