The Weekly Juan #4: "Smalltalk, Direct Manipulation and End User Programming"

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Tue Nov 14 00:54:49 UTC 2006

Juan Vuletich wrote on Sat, 11 Nov 2006 00:29:04 -0300
> > http://squeak.pbwiki.com/interview
> >
> I don't agree with many of the ideas expressed there. But I don't want
> to start a useless discussion. I'll just continue with Morphic ideas.
> It's good to have options.

We can never have a perfect GUI, so options are certainly a very good
thing. I am not sure discussing things we don't agree with is useless,
however.

> Sure. But this time I didn't want to. I don't like mixing facts with
> opinions without making clear the difference. BTW, I'd like to know more
> about Neo Smalltalk! Is it available for Windows or Linux?

I am developing the software and hardware together, so in theory it will
only be available on my machine (but since it will be open source
somebody could port it). I am using a simulator written in Squeak to
debug this, The version on my site is from January but I'll post a new
one as soon as I have something that is more usable. So it will run on
PCs, but not in real time.

> > [the future is open systems]
> >
> That's true too. But today, I work on a single Smalltalk environment,
> and that's ok.

You work on a single environment until you want to share with someone
using a different image. We are having more and more problems in this
regard, though I agree we can live with them a while longer.

> > [collaborating trainees using Self]
> >
> What you describe is really coll. But I used the wrong words. "Team
> work" is not specific enough. I meant "merging the work of different
> people into a single consistent construct". I also think that code
> (thinking more on change sets or an Envy like system than CVS) helps
> tracking versions and comparing them. I don't know of any such tools for
> Self, but as you say, this doesn't mean they can't be done.

Since they were using the same image, their work was always instantly
merged. But this is sometimes a problem and not a solution, so the Self
group created the "Us" language which allowed multiple simultaneous
viewpoints (similar to the old PIE system for Smalltalk-80, but a bit
more dynamic).

> I'd love to have some real experience with Self. But unfortunately I
> don't see that happening any time soon.

Unfortunately Sun has just killed the project a second time. At least
Macs are easier to find the Sparc machines.

-- Jecel