Testers wanted for REPLServer (Squeak shell / command-line)

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 21:26:42 UTC 2006

Hi all.

I'd like to announce a new alpha release of REPLServer; it is a Squeak shell
that you can use for managing remote servers. I'm asking for people to
download and test it.

Get the latest version from http://www.squeaksource.com/SecureSqueak.
Currently the latest version is REPL-mvdg.7.mcz.

Instructions:
Get DynamicBindings and KomServices from SqueakMap.
Install REPL-mvdg.7.mcz (or a later version) using Monticello.
Run "REPLServer startOn: 4445", and then telnet to localhost, port 4445.

Please let me know if you manage to crash Squeak using this by some means
other than typing in Smalltalk commands that cause a crash :-). I'm also
interested in whether it works well on platforms other than Linux.

Known bugs (mostly from lack of time rather than difficulty):

* Sending special telnet commands currently causes a traceback. This is
fixed in my local image but has not yet been uploaded.

* Special character handling, such as F1..F12, insert, delete, etc isn't yet
complete. This is coming in the next version.

* Arrays sometimes don't print their last character.

* It'll probably lock up if you set off a forkbomb.

Coming features in the next version(s):

* Connections will only be allowed from localhost, for security.

* Tab completion.

* Handling of ALT-? characters. Any ideas for what they should do? Same as
for a workspace?

* Maybe... just maybe... using ANSI codes to do syntax highlighting :-).

I'd also like some simple ASCII-art, if anybody is feeling creative. You can
use 7-bit ASCII, normal/bold and colours. I'd like a fancy header, a better
prompt and maybe even ideas for easter eggs :-).

Michael.