SmartRefStream broken?

Aaron Reichow revaaron at bitquabit.com
Tue Nov 14 22:57:59 UTC 2006

On Nov 14, 2006, at 4:02 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Benjamin Pollack wrote:
>> Is there a reason why SmartRefStream has such a radically
>> different interface than ReferenceStream, even though it's a
>> direct subclass?
>
> Yes. The reason is that you shouldn't use SmartRefStream the way
> you're using it. The "correct" way is using
> #fileOutClass:andObject: like here:

That might be preferred way to use it, but it isn't any excuse for
the problem- poor design.  What works with ReferenceStream doesn't
work with its subclass, SmartRefStream. Regardless of what might be
preferred, it isn't unnatural to take what works fine with
ReferenceStream and try to apply that to SmartRefStream, Many of the
examples I've seen throughout the image and other applications (e.g.
ScriptManager) use it in the way I wrote in my original post.  No
excuse for it, but at least it's easily fixed!

Thanks Andreas!

Regards,
Aaron