Mikael Kindborg mikael.kindborg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 23:27:31 UTC 2006

On 11/14/06, Joshua Gargus <schwa at fastmail.us> wrote:

> >> Texture-mapped quads are the way to go.
> >>

> > Looked at glTexImage2D and the documentation says that width and
> > height must be powers of two, which is not very nice for sprites.
> > However, I saw that in OpenGL 2.1 "Non-Power-Of-Two Textures" are
> > introduced as a standard:
> > http://www.opengl.org/documentation/current_version/
> >

> If you are willing to waste some memory, you can always set up your
> texture coordinates to only include the region of the power-of-two
> texture that has sprite data.  Or, as you say, use NPOT textures.
> Although they're only now becoming part of the standard, they are
> usable via extensions of a wide range of hardware.
>
> Josh

Thanks for this info Josh. While I feel more comfortable with SDL sprites,
I should look into OpenGL. Squeak already has much of the basic
functionality that SDL offers (input, etc), and OpenGL seems to be
a very capable option for 2D sprite-based games. Not an easy decision
however. Found this nice example of sprites in OpenGL on the gpwiki:
http://gpwiki.org/index.php/OpenGL_Tutorial_Framework:Ortho_and_Alpha
Will try to recreate this demo in Squeak at some point.

Best, Micke