virtual hosting service recommendation

Giovanni Corriga giovanni at corriga.net
Thu Nov 16 16:42:46 UTC 2006

Il giorno gio, 16/11/2006 alle 13.11 +0200, goran at krampe.se ha scritto:
> Hi!
>
> "Cees de Groot" <cdegroot at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 11/16/06, goran at krampe.se <goran at krampe.se> wrote:
> > > I have been using unixshell.com for quite some time (krampe.se,
> > > gjallar.se etc). It is very price competitive (they were first out to
> > > use Xen and try to keep it as cheap as possible) [...]
> >
> > Don't want to push Hetzner more than I already have been doing :-),
> > but a 39 dollar 256Mram/12Gdisk/256Gxfer at unixshell versus a 29 euro
> > 512Mram/40Gdisk/200Gxfer real box...It's only competitive if you can
> > live with the entry-level 19 dollar box (which might be enough to host
> > a simple squeak site, granted)...
>
> I actually have a 50% upgraded "Plan 128" that I pay $20 for (upgraded
> when they moved to Xen 3.0).
>
> But I run 3 squeak instances + apache, email, ftp, bittorrent
> tracker/seeder and probably a bunch more stuff. And I guess I could do
> that with a regular 128 minus a squeak or two.
>
> And $20 is about half of 29 euro. But I agree, for the higher level
> Hetzner sounds very good - do they use english these days? :)

I have both an Unixshell# server ("Plan 64", 50% upgraded) and an
Hetzner one (DS1000).

Unixshell# pros:
- Can use CentOS on it, with no extra cost
- very good network, with low latency.
- good support

Unixshell cons:
- can't have IRC (neither clients nor servers)
- no automatic backups, unless you pay an extra (you have to manually
download a tar.gz of your system)
- there can be some conflicts between the Xen system and programs that
use threading.

Hetzner pros:
- a real system, not a partition on a bigger server.
- can install whatever you want on the server.
- automated backups included in the package.

Hetzner cons:
- no Red Hat/CentOS system available, unless you pay an extra.
- network latency is good, but not as good as unixshell#'s.

The lack of backups on the Unixshell# server made me move the main
services of corriga.net to Hetzner; I'm still keeping the Unixshell
server to run some secondary services.

	Giovanni