Preparing a Squeak Image and VM for Production

Adrian Lienhard adi at netstyle.ch
Fri Nov 17 13:32:35 UTC 2006

On Nov 17, 2006, at 11:34 , Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2006, at 21:39 , Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>>> - Any reason to use a 3.8 image -- like more stability?
>>
>> A lot of people are using 3.7 because of its stability. I wouldn't
>> use
>> 3.8 unless you need support for special encodings.
>
> Is this verified? I'm using 3.7 on servers, too, but just because
> it works and I have no reason to change the setup. I use 3.8 for
> daily work without problems.

 From my experience the VM version is more relevant than the one of
the image. We have run into problems with Unix VM versions > 3.6 (and
apparently many other people have as well) -- problems we have never
seen with 3.6 VMs. Hence I tend to not upgrade and even consider
moving back to 3.6 VMs.

Michael, concerning the image lockup problem with SqueakSource
servers at Impara, have you ever tried to run with a 3.6 VM?

Adrian