OSProcessPlugin loads incorrectly in a squeak-dev 49 image

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Nov 18 18:58:06 UTC 2006

On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 03:37:21PM +0000, bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk wrote:

> Three methods have corrupt source that stops VMMaker building.
> Browsers can not display them, debuggers will pop up. No errors
> were produced while loading. Copying the methods across from a
> 3.8 image works fine.
>
> The methods are:
>   OSProcessPlugin>>initialiseModule
>   OSProcessPlugin>>primitiveCreatePipe
>   OSProcessPlugin>>primitiveGetSession
>
> After copying them from a 3.8 image VMMaker will build the plugin and
> it appears to work. I was using a modified VMMAker-3.8b6 VMMaker which
> is now on SqueakSource in the Exupery project. I doubt that the
> version of VMMaker matters.

Hi Bryce,

I'm assuming that this is in a development image for which someone has
included OSPP, right? If so, I can't say how this was loaded or why it
may be corrupt. However, I'll mention a couple of things that may be
of interest if you are using OSPP in Exupery.

The OSPP plugin, XDisplayControlPlugin, and AioPlugin are all related,
but maintained separately on SqueakMap and SqueakSource. If you are
doing a Unix VM and use one of these, I recommend that you build all
three.

Current released versions of OSPP, XDCP, and AIO plugins are on SqueakMap.
And normally that is how you would get them. Unfortunately, the SM
entries for XDCP and AIO plugins are both broken, and I don't know how
to fix them. The OSPP entry still works, but for XDCP and AIO you'll
need to manually download the files from the SqueakMap page with a good
old fashioned web browser. (If anyone can explain to me how to convince
SqueakMap stop deciding that that download links are invalid, I'd certainly
be grateful).

There also are more up to date unreleased versions of these plugins on
SqueakSource. If a VM for Exupery makes use of pthreads, you should probably
use the latest SqueakMap versions, as these make an effort to do the right
thing with OS signal forwarding and errno reporting in a pthreads
environment. If you are not using pthreads, then disregard this and
stick with the released version. The SqueakSource entries are in

	http://www.squeaksource.com/OSProcessPlugin
	http://www.squeaksource.com/XDCP
	http://www.squeaksource.com/AioPlugin

If you build OSPP with the lastest version for pthreads, then you will
need to update platforms/unix/plugins/UnixOSProcessPlugin/acinclude.m4
to contain the following:

AC_CHECK_FUNC(unsetenv, AC_DEFINE(HAVE_UNSETENV, 1))
AC_PLUGIN_CHECK_LIB(pthread, pthread_kill)

Then do a "cd platforms/unix/config; make" to update the configure
scripts. This will put the right incantations into configure/make
to cause OSPP to build and link properly.

Dave