[ANN] stable package universe for 3.9

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 20 19:07:10 UTC 2006

>From: Lex Spoon <lex at cc.gatech.edu>
>To: squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
>Subject: Re: [ANN] stable package universe for 3.9
>Date: 20 Nov 2006 18:41:32 +0100
>
>"J J" <azreal1977 at hotmail.com> writes:
> > Forgive my ignorance, but does every new version of a given package
> > have to be republished in it's universe?  It sounded like that on the
> > web page.
>
>Yes.  In fact, that is at the core of the system.  If you do not
>publish Foo version X into a universe, then people using that
>praticular universe will not even know Foo version X exists.

Ok, so what that basically means is, if you publish a package at the moment,
you have to save it to Monticello, publish to squeak map and put it in a
Universe, right? :)

It sounds to me like Universes could replace squeak map, right?  If so,
would it be possible to hook into the squeak map (and/or Monticello)
publishing process so that squeak map publishes cause a publish to a
universe (or vise versa since the universe publish may require more info)?
That would make migrating to a universe based system easier.  The easiest
way to get people to use something is (a) make it transparently a part of
what they did before or (b) make it do what they did before and easier for
them.