[ANN] stable package universe for 3.9

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 21 13:19:59 UTC 2006

On 11/20/06, J J <azreal1977 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, so what that basically means is, if you publish a package at the moment,
> you have to save it to Monticello, publish to squeak map and put it in a
> Universe, right? :)

If you are developing a package with someone else, it will probably be
in Monticello.  Your first users will be other developers, probably
all experts, and you will just let them use your repository.
Eventually you will advertise on Squeak Map.  You probably do not have
your own Universe, but perhaps someone with a bleeding edge Universe
will include your package in his Universe.  If your package is stable
enough to be useful and gets a lot of users then it will get put in
one of the more stable Universes.  Unless you run the Universe, you
won't post it there.

If I were running a Universe, I would only include packages that had
test suites.  When new versions of packages came out, or there were
new packages that I wanted to include, I'd want a fairly automatic way
to run all the test suites.  One idea is to make a "test universe"
that adds a few packages to my main universe.  Ideally, I could
override the packages with new versions, add the new packages, and run
all the tests in the new universe.  If I liked the results, I'd update
the main universe with the new versions.

Lex, I have a question.  I know that one Universe can include another.
 Can a Universe override packages, i.e. have a different version of a
package?

-Ralph