Release Team as Manager, the Rest of Us as Workers/Creators (was release team proposal)

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Fri Nov 24 15:21:35 UTC 2006

Ralph,

I applaud your proposal.  I would like to take a moment to point out
something to the community that I think you will agree with; but if not
please feel free to respond with clarifications as to your own opinion
if you think it appropriate.

I think it's time for all of us to really concentrate on thinking of the
Release Team as managers and organizers rather than people who fix bugs
and come up with new features and concepts.  We need to all realize that
the release team has enough on its plate simply handling decisions and
keeping all the ducks in a row with the complex process of combining
patches from disparate groups and verifying that the result is something
that they can be proud of.  It is up to the rest of us to spend time
finding bugs, looking at others bug reports, submitting fixes, examining
and commenting on these fixes, and working on new and exciting features
for Squeak.  That doesn't mean that release team members can't
participate in this, but neither we nor they should think of it as part
of the job of the release team or their responsibility.

Thanks,

Ken