release team proposal

Trygve Reenskaug trygver at ifi.uio.no
Mon Nov 27 10:38:26 UTC 2006

Here's a class initialization scheme that worked well with in the past:

   1) The classes of a package are loaded in any sequence (but not
initialized!)
   2) Class initialization is done by a kernel method that initializes
ALL classes as follows:
     2a) First, send #initialize to ALL classes that have it implemented.
     someClass class>>initialize initializes constants etc. It is local
to the class, only using kernel classes such as String, Integer, ...
     2b) Second, send e.g., #squeakInitialize to ALL classes that have
it implemented. someClass class>>squeakInitialize sets up required
links. It can reference any class, since all classes have been loaded.
     2c) If #squeakInitialize can only be run in a certain sequence, the
classes are too fragile and should be redesigned.
   3) Some library classes did not tolerate repeated initializations. We
regarded that as a weakness and fixed the offending classes to enable
the above scheme.

Cheers
--Trygve

Trygve Reenskaug      mailto: trygver at ifi.uio.no
Morgedalsvn. 5A       http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver
N-0378 Oslo           Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27
Norway