Squeak and Namespaces

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at tx.technion.ac.il
Wed Nov 29 22:26:50 UTC 2006

I think the goals for namespaces in Squeak should be two:
1. Given 2 independently developed systems, each introducing its own
meaning for a new class name, a developer should be able to make them
able to live together in the same image without changing the actual code
for either. I think this is the real goal of scalable independent
deployment.
2. If the two systems both introduce similar concepts with the same
name,  system should facilitate their merging by the respective
maintainers. This goal is meant to facilitate sharing code that is
living (and I this is what Markus is talking about).

I think many namespace systems achieve goal 1 by having each developer
invent his own namespace (possibly more than one). I think this is a bad
decision in our context, because it makes it harder to achieve 2. So far
we've compromised by emulating this mode using the prefix convention,
but only selectively.

I think the effect of first class prefixes will be to make it more
convenient to delay the design and implementation of a real solution to
these goals. This may be a good or a bad thing, depending on how close
we feel to having a solution.

Daniel Vainsencher