Squeak and Namespaces

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Nov 30 11:32:02 UTC 2006

> > The problem comes if we determine there is a much better way to do this.  We
> > can't just pull the namespaces out because then you will have 30 classes
> > named "Dictionary" and so on.  You will have to either touch them all or run
> > some script that appends the namespace on the front of the class and then
> > pull namespaces out.  I don't see either of these as doable, so I would
> > expect that once namespaces are in as default for a couple of years that is
> > what we are going to have from now on.
>
> Eh, no not really. Today without my solution MCDictionary has the name
> #MCDictionary.

You just said "no", and then repeated J J's post in your own words.  ;)
In short: you can add hierarchical names with no immediate cost,
but once people use it, it would be a much larger cost to go back.

While, I like hierarchical naming in general, there is no denying that
there are plenty of issues to consider.

-Lex