Is OSProcess usable in Squeak 3.9 on Windows/XP yet?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Oct 2 15:18:11 UTC 2006

On 30-Sep-06, at 11:13 AM, Simon Guest wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use OSProcess on Windows/XP with Squeak 3.9, and am now
> chaining back up the list of other things I need in place to do that.
>
> Apparently I need OSProcessPlugin (for new VM primitives to provide
> access to OS facilities not available in the base VM).
>
> To install OSProcessPlugin, I need VMMaker.

I think ( or more precsiely, I *hope*) that you mean you need vmmaker
to build osplugin; I've never heard of needing vmmaker to simply make
use of a plugin.

> Apparently VMMaker is not yet ready for Squeak 3.9 on Windows.

Really? It should be ok. There's not been extensive testing as yet
(difficult to always be on top of a moving target) nor is there
(IIRC) a neatly packaged up bundle of all you need for windows. You
ought to find that using the latest vmmaker on SM (vmmaker3.8b6) plus
the latest trunk from SVN on www.squeakvm.org works.

But if there is a built OSPlugin available for windows you should
just need to install it, no messing with vmmaker at all.

tim
Manual Writer's Creed:  Garbage in, gospel out.