[ANN] Working SSL In Squeak

Ron Teitelbaum Ron at USMedRec.com
Mon Oct 2 20:18:12 UTC 2006

The code does use the HTTP classes.  I crated an HttpsAdapter to handle the
translation before invoking the regular http classes.  The protocol stream
that Rob created (I believe for SqueakELib) is really nice and may be a good
replacement for parts of HTTP but I have no intention of replacing it now
(any volunteers?)

> >OpenSSL integration (may be handled with LibCurl)
>
> What is the difference in this and what you have?  OpenSSL is just a
> library
> right?  And so that would make what you did kind of a competitor to it, no
> (well you know what I mean, filling the same space)?

I'm not a fan of implementations, for me the more we support the more likely
people will use it.  For those that need fine control over SSL a Squeak
internal version is very useful.  For those that need to work with a
standard library the OpenSSL may be good, for those that need to work with
Governments then possibly MS CryptoAPI would be better.  In any case one
size does not always fit all.

> >ASN1 framework for additional protocol support.
>
> I had intended myself to make an SNMP class for squeak when (if) I ever
> get
> unburried.  Should I wait for this (assuming I will have a choice :)?

If you have an interest in SNMP then come and help us build the ASN1
framework.  You will learn lots about data transfer.  If you use our asn1
for SNMP then you can help to enhance our framework and make sure that what
we deliver works for your purposes.

> Also, where is the source for that DLL?  I looked around for it, but
> couldn't find it.  At some point someone should take a crack at moving
> that
> native.

The source is in Cryptography.  You will need to load VM Maker first before

Ron Teitelbaum
Squeak Cryptography Team Leader