Is OSProcess usable in Squeak 3.9 on Windows/XP yet?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Oct 2 23:30:48 UTC 2006

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 05:59:53PM +0100, Simon Guest wrote:
> At Mon, 02 Oct 2006 17:27:44 +0200,
> Mathieu  wrote:
> >
> > tim Rowledge a ?crit :
> >

> > > But if there is a built OSPlugin available for windows you should just
> > > need to install it, no messing with vmmaker at all.
> > >

> > Yes but the latest  OSPlugin lake of console servises on windows
>
> All I really want is a version of OSProcessPlugin that runs on Windows.  I
> have not seen anywhere I can get one from, without building my own.
> Perhaps I could take up Mathieu's generous offer of a DLL, if this is
> all I need.
>
> Is the intention that there are some binary downloads available
> somewhere, so that someone like me who just wants to use the OSPlugin,
> say, can do so without building one's own infrastructure?

Hi Simon,

A very out-of-date DLL is included with the OSProcess package, but
this is obsolete and no longer works with current VMs.

In order to have a current version of OSPP for Windows, you will
need to build the plugin *and* a new VM using VMMaker. You will
also need to disable (or otherwise work around) the functions in
/platforms/win32/vm/sqWin32HandleTable.h in order for OSPP to work
properly. You need to have both the OSPP plugin and the modified VM
with the handle table disabled in order to have a working OSPP for
Windows.

This will void the warranty on your Windows VM, but aside from that
it should work fine. Unfortunately, just using a pre-compiled plugin
will not work, because the handle table security features of the
standard Windows VM will prevent a number OSPP primitives from
functioning.

Dave

p.s. This is not meant as a knock against the additional security
features in the Windows VM. It's just that I have not thought of
a reasonable way to make OSPP work with them. It's also not a problem
that I'm spending any time on, so if anyone has a creative solution,
that would be quite welcome.