About 512 MB changes patch

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Oct 3 00:54:54 UTC 2006

Hi Tim -

As much as I agree with the idea of reworking CompiledMethod in general,
it seems to me we shouldn't mix up two otherwise unrelated issues. One
issue is that of changing the source code representation from being four
bytes in the compiled method to being a real object. The other one is to
change CompiledMethod itself. The two are completely unrelated in my
understanding - we could well have a better factored class
CompiledMethod that uses four bytes at the end of the bytecodes to
encode the source pointer and we can equally have a source object
representation within the current CompiledMethods.

Mixing up these two just doesn't seem helpful to make in terms of being
able to make progress. We now have a proposed solution for dealing with
the source representation, I don't think there is any need to make this
dependent on a complete overhaul of compiled method itself (in
particular considering that there are some unanswered questions about
speed/space tradeoffs in this area). And contrary, if someone would make
the concrete proposal for a rework of CompiledMethod I would say let's
not make this dependent on agreeing on a particular source code
representation. In either case, both are valuable, yet independent
problems to be solved. Mixing them up doesn't seem to add much value to
the (already complicated) process of getting them adopted.

Cheers,
   - Andreas