About 512 MB changes patch

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Oct 3 02:18:48 UTC 2006

On 2-Oct-06, at 5:54 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Hi Tim -
>
> As much as I agree with the idea of reworking CompiledMethod in
> general, it seems to me we shouldn't mix up two otherwise unrelated
> issues.
[snip]
Yes, that is plausible and reasonable; except that I *do* think it is
way past time to do the CM rework and since to makes it trivial to
also clean up the source code representation I consider it a nice
synergy. Sure, we can improve the source code situation by putting a
normal oop in the properties. That would certainly be better.

As I said, Klaus is to be congratulated for coming up with a concrete
proposal. I don't think it cleans up anywhere near enough of the
mess, but that could be worked on. For example, it appears to me to
leave far too much in the way of assumptions about the source pointer
being an encrypted integer for real comfort. I made a technically
simple but organisationally more complex proposal. It is what it is.
If people don't like it, they don't like it.

Perhaps it is not yet time to change the image format and break
backward compatability; then again, the 64bit images are not backward
compatible, the proposed 3.9 release requires a condensed changes and
new sources file (perhaps not if we adopt a source pointer cleanup?)
and frankly the place is in a mess that needs cleaning. I'm fairly
amazed you haven't been clamouring for such a cleanup for the OLPC work.

tim
Strange OpCodes: IPL: Invent Program Lines