About 512 MB changes patch

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Oct 3 19:22:38 UTC 2006

On 3-Oct-06, at 3:02 AM, Tony Garnock-Jones wrote:

> Andreas Raab wrote:
>> Well, in that case all I can say is: "Code speaks" ;-) If you
>> still have
>> that code from '98 and can update it to work with method
>> properties I'd
>> like to see it and I'd like us to have the discussion about which
>> approach people like more.
>
> I'd very much like to see the code from 98 as it stands, without any
> changes, to get some feel for the scale of the change as proposed.

See

http://www.rowledge.org/tim/squeak/SqFiles/packages/NewCompiledMethod-
Archive.zip

for the original released files. The new CM class is very simple and
it is the cloner changes that were the really tricky part - the
earlier cloner was very limited and need quite a bit of sneaky work
to make it possible to do the needed transmutations.

Note that this bunch of files don't have anything much by way of
clever tricks for handling source; I can't find anything on my system
from the experiements I did at Interval.
Also note that the chances of being able to filein this code to any
recent image is essentially zero. Don't waste your time!

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Gramen artificiosum odi = I hate Astroturf.