Squeak on the Nokia 770 (touches on old iamges, Morphic, SM, wxWidgets, and more!)

Aaron Reichow revaaron at bitquabit.com
Thu Oct 5 20:56:48 UTC 2006

Hey Ron-

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, Welch, Ronald P (CSC) (US SSA) wrote:

> Welcome back! I am wondering, have you looked at Tweak as an
> alternative to wxWidgets on the 770? I know virtually nothing
> about the relative speed of Tweak compared to Morphic or
> wxWindows on machines with "limited" resources, so this may
> well be an ignorant question, but I am curious.

Tweak is impossibly slow on all the PDAs on which I've tried it.  And by
that, I don't mean (like with newer Morphic on a slower PDA) you have a
couple second wait between a stylus tap and a menu popping up- in an
example like that, we are talking about 30 seconds between tap and menu.
I let the Tweak team know this when I tested it, but for the life of me I
can't remember or find their response.  I've not tested Tweak on any sort
of Linux-based PDA, so this covers only WinCE-based PDAs (WinCE 3.0,
Pocket PC 2k/2k2, Windows Mobile 2003-5.0).

I'll check it again when I get Squeak going on the 770 and let you know.

Using Tweak was a thought of mine as well, but for now it doesn't jive.

> Ron

Regards,
Aaron

revaaron at bitquabit.com || rev in #squeak on irc.freenode.net
   "Liberty will not descend to a people, a people must
         raise themselves to Liberty." -- Emma Goldman