JUMP SHIP

SmallSqueak smallsqueak at rogers.com
Fri Oct 6 09:02:18 UTC 2006

Hi Craig,

> > and you responded:
> >
> > > Yeah, let's do that one. :)
> >
> > I know you are seriously smiling here.
> >
> > Yeah, let's do that one !!!
> >
> > I don't know if you are serious enough to use your Spoon to scoop out
> > from the release Squeak 3.9 the KernelImage pioneered by Pavel and
> > post the system and instructions for reproducing it...
>
>      Yes, I'm completely serious; but, unlike what I'm making, I don't
> think Pavel's image is really a kernel (it's not minimal). I think it's
> great if his work shows a way to delineate particular subsystems, though.

	Yes, I agree.

	I think Pavel current work with his KernelImage is more
	than just a backbox shrinking.

	I think he recorded his journey and reported back to the captains
	to steer the ship towards a true kernel image.

	Hopefully the captains are not steering in the opposite directions
;-)

>      In general, I think "stripping" is a losing strategy.

	I agree here too and I am not very comfortable at the thought
	of shrinking my image and being a stripper ;-)

> There's only one strip that matters for making a basis artifact,
> and that's the one that gets to an absolutely minimal core.

	You mean something like the KeyHole image ;-)

> I hope no one has to do it again after I'm done.

	I see Pavel's work and your work can be complimentary.

	I think Spoon is basically GIGO, and specifically SISO
	(Spaghetty In, Spaghetty Out ;-) no AI yet, right?

> From then on, the system should be composed of
> modules which can just be told to unload. The modules should worry about
> handling the ramifications of their dependencies (asking for human
> intervention only when absolutely necessary). It should be possible to
> compose any desired system by loading modules into the minimal core.
>
>      As for the 3.9 image, that's just one of several sources of
> behavior that I plan to imprint onto the Spoon object memory. I plan to
> release Naiad for each one, so that people can imprint from them.

	I am quite anxious to see this happen.

> -C
>
> p.s.
>
>      I'm on the verge of another milestone: I have successfully removed
> all references to SystemDictionary and its sole instance from the
> minimal object memory, and my remote browsing tools work without
> referring to them as well. I'm about to remove them.

	Good to hear.

> --
> Craig Latta
> http://netjam.org/resume