Cryptographic Primitives

Ron Teitelbaum Ron at USMedRec.com
Fri Oct 6 18:03:12 UTC 2006

Hi J J,

DESPlugin is faster, but we haven't done any real tests to figure out how
much slower the native smalltalk version is.  Des in general is a fast
algorithm.  3Des is 3 times slower.  Form what I understand the native
version is acceptable for performance.  Other things like SHA256 are fine
for hashing small values, but we found the difference between SHA1 and
SHA256 hashing 1 million a's is pretty significant.  We expect SHA256 to be
slower but since I having written the plugin for it the difference is SHA1
is subsecond and SHA256 takes 38 seconds.  This would be unacceptable
performance for and TLS1.2 ciphersuites.  So a plugin is needed.

> Also it would be interesting to hear Bryce's input on this.  Speeding up
> now
> is good, but if the JIT turns out fast (as it sounds like it will) then we
> would want as much as possible to be pure smalltalk, no?

I would be interested in the answer.

Ron Teitelbaum