YARAD (Re: About 512 MB changes patch)

SmallSqueak smallsqueak at rogers.com
Sat Oct 7 13:09:59 UTC 2006

Hi Bert,

    Thanks for taking the time to respond.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bert Freudenberg" <bert at freudenbergs.de>
To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers list"
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 6:48 PM
Subject: Re: YARAD (Re: About 512 MB changes patch)

> Am 04.10.2006 um 16:48 schrieb SmallSqueak:
>
>>     In other words, Yet Another Race Against Deadline ?
>
> Choosing the battle field is a major advance towards winning. So it's  not
> really a race, because we choose to only make the minimally  necessary
> adjustments to get something going.
>
>>     It's just the place to dump all the garbages hidden underneath
>> eToys???
>
> Maybe you missed the point about OLPC. It's not a project to clean up
> Squeak, but to empower children. We are glad to have Etoys and are  able
> to fit it into the OLPC environment in a relatively short time  frame.
>
>>     P.S: BTW, does this OLPC eToys use Tweak?
>
> No. It uses the well-tested Squeakland release with minor changes in
> appearance.

    When I heard about eToys going to be shipped with first batch
    of machines from OLPC project I cannot help not to think back
    what Alan and Dan said about eToys.

    My impression was that neither of them are happy with eToys.

    IIRC, even Andreas was not happy at all and he was a vocal
    critic of morphic on which eToys was built. hence Tweak.

> - Bert -

    Cheers,

    PhiHo